Saturday, April 18, 2015

PCT days 1 and 2

Grant and I have made it about 76 miles on the PCT so far. We'll post a summary over the next few posts!

Trail Angel Mom (actually my mom) flew down with us to San Diego, then drove us to LaMesa to our beautiful accommodations at the Holiday Inn. The next day was all last minute errands, filling prescriptions for grant's sinus infection , searching for a squirt gun, you know the usual. We bought a cooler full of beer because we wanted to make friends the next day with our cold beer and we wanted to start our morning off right.

We woke up at 5 a.m. and were on the road by 6:30 a.m. only half hour behind schedule. Of course the reason we were a half hour behind schedule is because our Styrofoam cooler disintegrated when trying to pick it up, spilling ice and water all over the floor. That's funny.

We made it to the southern terminus by 7:45 a.m. Of course we cracked open a couple of PBR's, took a bunch of pictures and we were on our way by... 8:45 a.m. Not to worry!

Hiking along with our two beer buzz was fantastic. we were so happy to be on our way. We made it 15 miles to Hauser Creek. Unfortunately Hauser Creek was totally impacted by human overuse. We walked down the road and found our own private campsite, wheas everybody else huddled together near the trail.

We went to bed at about 8:30 p.m. and woke up at 5:45 a.m.We had five miles to lake Morena, then we would continue on. We told mom to meet us at Lake Morena at 9 a.m. with a cooler full of (our) beer and food. we made it at 8:50 a.m. It was really fun seeing mom there with the trunk open in the cooler. mom was there, about to give a hiker a ride to the store! we made a whole bunch of new friends while handing out cold beers at 9 am. It was also awesome because we're hiking with the warrior hikers, a group of combat veterans walking the war off. What a group of fantastic American heroes and we are honored to be sharing the trail with them, and honored to buy them their first round :)

After socializing for 3 hours we I finally hit the trail again at noon with 5 more miles  ahead of us in the hot sun only slightly inebriated. We made it to the Boulder Oaks campground near Interstate 80 and called it a night.

So the first two days was 15.5 miles day one and about 10.5 miles day two.

Please click our Instagram link to the right for pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean. Don't be mean.