Sunday, February 15, 2009

Practice Vacation

We decided to spend a week in Jackson at our condo before making the final push for New Zealand next Monday. We came home to our resident moose pair, mom and yearling, in my yard. We have seen the pair, or at least mom, in my yard for two years now. Unfortunately the camera was dead so take a look at these photos from October and then picture snow drifts around them.














Grant went skiing twice. Unfortunately, it hasn't really snowed in three weeks, so no fresh powder. But Grant could still ride the new Tram and hurtle himself down the side of a mountain, which I think is the main point.

Grant took me on a sleigh ride through the Elk Refuge for my birthday, and it was fantastic! I really don't think people should dismiss the tourist things because they are a lot of fun. I can't describe to you the sound of thirty male elk butting their antlers together practice fighting while sitting ten feet away, or the little yearlings mewing for their mothers. They kind of sound like kittens, but not really. It's pretty surreal if you've never heard it before. Now we have a few last minute appointments and things to do, and we will be on our way. Cheers!


























3 comments:

  1. YAY! I'm glad you made a blog! Those pix are great. I love the one of the sleeping indian. I haven't done the elk refuge tour since I was a little kid--maybe I should go again as an adult some day...looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogosphere! These pictures are amazing - I myself haven't seen elk from up close! Oh, and have fun in your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you posted your link on AR! I love your pictures. Have fun in New Zealand, I hope you'll have lots of pictures to post!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean. Don't be mean.